Scottish food and meal ideas for your holiday in the Cairngorms
Forget deep fried Mars bars and deep fried pizza 😁
A rich and comforting Scottish fish soup made with smoked haddock, onions and potatoes. A perfect starter for a Burn’s Night Supper in January.
500g of smoked haddock (undyed)
1 litre of whole milk
2 onions, peeled & diced
25g of butter
2 large potatoes, peeled & cut in 2cm dice
- In a shallow pan, poah the haddock in milk for 6 – 8 mins, when cooked remove the haddock from the milk, keep the milk.
- Sweat onions in butter until soft (not coloured). Add diced potatoes, cook for 5 mins.
- Add the reserved milk to the pan, bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Mash the potatoes
- Flake the haddock and return to the pan, season with salt and pepper to taste
Looking for a local fishmonger? Pro Fish Services Ltd, Aviemore , Call 01479 810576
Haggis, Neeps and Tatties (Haggis, turnips and potatoes)
A perfect quick and easy dinner for the family.
907g of Haggis
1 kg of turnips
1 large carrot
1kg of potatoes (Maris Piper have a good flavour)
100ml of milk (warmed)
80g of butter
Salt & pepper
- Heat the haggis (follow the instructions on the label)
- Peel the potatoes, turnips & carrot
- Dice the turnips & carrot into 1cm cubes
- Cut the potatoes into quarters
- Gently boil the potatoes in a pan of salted water, 20 – 25 mins until soft
- Gently boil the carrot & turnips in a separate pan of salted water, 20 – 25 mins until soft
- Drain each pan
- Add 40g butter, 100ml of milk to the potatoes, mash until creamy, add salt & pepper to taste
- Add 40g butter to the turnips & carrot, mash (not too smooth), add salt & pepper to taste
Mix up some instant gravy granules with boiling water for a quick gravy. Yum!
Looking for a local butcher?
A dessert of oats, cream, whisky and raspberries is a delicious alternative to trifle.
570ml of double cream
85g of porridge oats
7 tbsps of whisky
3 tbsps of honey
- Toast the oats in a frying pan (do not burn)
- Lightly whip the cream to a soft peak
- Fold in the whisky, honey, oats & raspberries
- Serve in dessert glasses (serves 4)
I like to grate a bit of chocolate over the top too!
Looking for some local Whisky? Speyside Distillery, Aviemore & Tromie Mills, Call 01540 661060